Monday, January 29, 2007

Priceless...

Isaiah 43:5-7 (New International Version)
" Do not be afraid, for I am with you;

I will bring your children from the east and gather you from the west.
I will say to the north, 'Give them up!', and to the south, 'Do not hold them back.'

Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth-
everyone who is called by my name,

whom I created for my glory,
whom I formed and made."

At our church we are fond of a praise chorus called "Shout to the North" by Martin Smith, which is based on several scriptures, including this one in Isaiah.

The song calls for the church to boldly proclaim the message of Christ to the ends of the earth. It calls to those who have been redeemed from the bondage of sin to "shout out" the message of Hope to a lost and dying world. The fact that verse one says: "Men of faith, rise up and sing- of you Great and Glorious King; you are strong when you feel weak, in your brokenness complete.", is especially meaningful to me this week.

It is no coincidence the Lord brought me to this Scripture, so important in the beginning of our faith journey, today and had me read it and re-read it, and then reminded me of this very song. Because today I was feeling very weak.

Within the last week we were informed of some new regulations in Russian adoption, involving new medical physicals for both parents and adopted children prior to being released from the country. They come with a "new and improved" price tag, too. Then a message about other "suggested donations" (not really a suggestion), that we were unaware of. All in all, it's roughly $7000-8000 more than we were originally quoted. And there is no room in Russian culture, especially in adoptions, for a "truth in contract" argument. If we don't like it, we can be done, right now. End of story.

Now I know, that God already knew this before time began; I know He is in control; I know the money is really all His, anyway. I know all these things, but for a little while today, I was Peter, looking around at all the water/ the waves/ and how far I am from the boat..........instead of at Jesus.

But, God, in His marvelous way, helped me really read that Scripture.

"Do not be afraid, for I AM with you..."

The Great 'I AM' -- not limited by time, governmental rules or money, is with us! The language of the next part of the verse is imperative- "I will.."- it will happen, because I say so. Whatever God has in mind for our two sons, nothing will stand in the way!

And it is when I realize and embrace my weakness, that God can work best. (2 Cor. 12:9-11)

After all, it's like that Mastercard commercial:

Home study: $1500, Mental Health exam:$600, plane ticket to Russia: $750, opportunity to bring the Hope of the Gospel: priceless!

"For every animal of the forest is mine, says the Lord, and the cattle on a thousand hills" Psalm 50:10


No comments: