Friday, January 26, 2007

Hemoglobin- it does a body Good!

Prior to my surgery right before Thanksgiving, my hemoglobin was 9. Not good.
And I just didn't realize how low-energy I really was! But, now.......I'm BAAACCK!! And I feel great!
Thank you, Lord!

Good timing, too, as we have been running here and there getting the things for our packing list--
assembling clothes for ourselves and the kids (they will only come in the clothes on their back, maybe not even a coat),dressy clothes we will only wear in court (and we're talking suit/tie-ish, even for the boys),
medical papers updated and apostilled, assembling a mini-pharmacy for ourselves (don't want to go to a hospital overseas), travel necessities for international travel (one would not want me to be without my blow dryer/curling iron adaptor), a suitcase of humanitarian aid,(Thank you to all who have donated)

If you want a list of what we still need for humanitarian aid to be given to the orphanages , email me at lthouse@dtnspeed.net , OK? God bless you!!



And of course, the gifts........

Gifts, gifts and more gifts.


In Russian culture, giving gifts is Big. It's the polite and "must-do" thing if you stay with someone, are visiting someone, or if that someone helped you out in any way.
It is, as Martha Stewart would say, "a good thing".

But there are many, many people with whom we will be interacting. The Facilitators, the translator(s), driver(s), orphanage workers, orphanage director(s) (the boys are form 2 different orphanages), home-stay family(s), etc.

You get the picture.

Fortunately, the gifts do not have to be expensive or big, and our agency has given us a list of ideas .
Good job, since it's kinda difficult to know what might be dearly loved item or a "no-no" in Russian culture.
We wouldn't want to offend!

Bath and Body had little purse-size lotions and body wash at 75% off, and I bought a ton! Macy's had decorative scarves (they pack nice and flat),and "they would like anything specifically from you region'---I'm thinking CAT hat or t-shirts for the drivers, and simpler yet, Hershey's chocolate bars. Chocolate speaks an international love language.

And then of course, the liquor.

Yep, if you see Joe or I coming out of a liquor store this week, just know we are purchasing for our list:
i.e." Two large bottles of alcohol, preferably Scotch whiskey, as it is a premium item in Russia".

Apparently, it's for 2 regional officials.

Whom I'm hoping won't be driving us around.




It is totally going in Joe's suitcase.

No comments: