Thursday, February 15, 2007

"Miss"- Communication


Many have asked, "...So, have you been taking Russian lessons?", or ,"Can you read Russian yet, I bet you've been practicing a lot!". And the answers to the above statements are: "No", "no" and a definitive "not really."


Because I'm special like that.


There really is not much of an excuse, either. We've had over 7 months since the boys visited this summer, and prior to their arrival I purchased a really great CD online with basic phrases that apply to daily life, especially for children. It was all the rage on all the adoption sites, and you could practice listening then saying the phrases, thanks to linguist Teresa Kelleher, who herself has adopted from Russia.

It even contained matching and practice games for the computer. It had the same CD in reverse (Russian to English), to use in teaching your children once adopted. Taylor caught on really quick. Joe and I, however, will claim the 40th.


You see, once you reach a certain age, I personally believe the nerve synapses are permanently and irrevocably locked in, unable to retrieve even repetitive phrases of foreign language. I believe, as well, that if food was given as a reward for correct usage and pronunciation of said phrases, I would be quite a bit thinner, and Joe.....let's just say the word "cadaver" comes to mind. I do not have scientific proof of these claims, but I have this story:


This summer, in a bold rush to learn one of the most difficult languages in , oh... let's say, 3 weeks; I had that practice CD on constantly.

I began with phrases I knew I must have at the ready for 2 boys, such as: " Stop that, immediately!", and "You may not play in the street!".

Quite pleased with myself, I began to speak to our cat, Stripes, about these matters, addressing her personally.

"Miss Cat, I am pleased to meet you."
"Miss Cat, it's time for breakfast."
"Miss Cat, thank you very much for the ice cream."

On and on it went, until I felt really comfortable with it all.


That is, until Taylor came home from school later that afternoon.


"Uh, Mom do you realize you're not saying 'cat' at all? You're saying......... uhhh...... well, 'dung'!!".


It was true.

HOLY Cat.


I just shook my head.


So last week, in one of my best e-bay auction moments, I won a Russian/English Ectaco electronic translator (About the size of a blackberry) at a superb price!
I'm sure somewhere, Teresa Kehlleher is rolling her eyes.


Yes, pride comes before the fall.


At the very least, I'm sure we'll be entertaining.




No comments: